Welcome to Piecing Life Together...

First off I'd like to thank you for taking the time to visit this blog. I decided to start this blog as a way to work through all the changes and excitement that has been going on in my life, and hopefully connect with others who are interested in sharing their experiences with things like hiking, frugal living, simple living, disaster preparedness and self sufficiency. Sit down a spell, read a little, and enjoy a moment or two with us here... maybe you'll add a little piece of yourself to share with us in a comment. Blessings to you all.

Michelle

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Walking through the jungle... of our back yard.

A while ago, I mentioned that our lawnmower had been stolen.  Since then, we've been on the hunt for a lockable shed to place by the house before even considering purchasing a new mower.  Finally, a suitable shed has been found and purchased.  It's not much, just 4.5x7 ft in all, but of sufficient size for our meager needs.  It only took around 3 hours to put together (Justin did most of the work while I was at work, so I just was there to help put the roof on... and I must say, it wasn't too bad).  The price was a bit steep... $500 once we added in the taxes, etc... and we didn't pay to have it delivered and installed.  :(  Oh well, at least thieves will have to work a little harder to steal our next mower... (here's hoping they won't be interested in trying).

So, with the shed in place (on the uneven ground that we call our yard), we're now awaiting mower buying day.  Our yard, last mowed right before the mower was stolen, has grown into somewhat of a jungle.  The rain, which would have kept us from mowing most of the days since our mower was stolen, has brought about an amazing (and annoying) amount of grass and weed growth.  Right now, I'm thinking that our eventual new mower is going to get a painful initiation into the family.

Once we manage to get the yard back under control, I've seriously got to get some interior work done.  I've got stuff that needs to be sold or sent off to Goodwill soon to make way for Jessie's toddling.  And I'm hoping that making a little more room in the house will help make clean up easier and faster.  Lately, with all the changes in schedules and what not, we've been exhausted and running around without a shred of organization... and the house has suffered.  It's become somewhat of a jungle all it's own.  Dishes and Laundry awaiting my attention, dusting to be done... boxes to be gone through and things to be made ready for the yard sale (still need to set a date) and other items just waiting to be put away or worse, find a place for the first time.

Funny enough, despite all of the stress of late with unexpected expenses (the car's front brakes had to be replaced this week too... completely), I'm still feeling positive.  We've paid off the highest interest debts, so we're not having interest beat down on us while we deal with these current necessities.  Sure we've still got medical bills to pay off, and the car is still being paid on (the next big item I hope to get paid off)... but somehow I'm less stressed about these things. 

Our 4H club has finished meeting until after the summer, so we've one less time commitment for a while, though I kind of wish we were staying more active over the summer, but that's ok.  We've planned some weekend hiking/camping trips with the kids.  I've got all but one of bub's 4H project books now, so we should be able to finally start getting some of them done before the fair.  I've even started working toward my disaster/emergency preparedness goals of setting up some simple food storage for us (goal is to set up 3 months worth of reserves) in order to ensure we're able to eat even if one of us (or both) should lose our job or be injured, etc.  I'm hoping to even set us up with Grab'n'Go bags this summer in case of a fire or any event that would cause us to have to evacuate our home with little warning.  So despite some recent mishaps and minor emergencies, life is still working on shaping up for us.  Now if I can get organized enough to start cooking ahead a little again, I'll be rocking and rolling.  :)  Life my not be easy all the time, but it is good.  Well, to all a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment