Welcome to Piecing Life Together...

First off I'd like to thank you for taking the time to visit this blog. I decided to start this blog as a way to work through all the changes and excitement that has been going on in my life, and hopefully connect with others who are interested in sharing their experiences with things like hiking, frugal living, simple living, disaster preparedness and self sufficiency. Sit down a spell, read a little, and enjoy a moment or two with us here... maybe you'll add a little piece of yourself to share with us in a comment. Blessings to you all.

Michelle

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Goodbye uncle Allen...

Late last night I got the news that my uncle Allen, who had spend quite a long stretch fighting cancer, had lost his fight.  Uncle Allen was an interesting part of my family.  His wife, my aunt Doris, was from a rather "country" farm family, where you can imagine her brothers hog tying someone for hurting their sister, all while having a laugh and a beer in their soiled blue jeans and button up jean shirts.  :)  Allen, well... he always struck me as the hippy of the family, and yet he was always right there beside us when we worked the tobacco fields.  He was always lighthearted, silly and playful.  I remember his near constant smile... a big goofy grin that couldn't help but his eyes and leave you with the sneaking suspicion that he might have just come up with or pulled some devious prank.  :)  I remember going for a drive in the convertible loaner that my aunt Darlene had one Christmas Eve... Uncle Allen, my cousins Jamie and Stephie... the snow falling and Allen talking us into dropping the top down. 

Fare thee well uncle Allen, may you find rest and peace, may your smile live on in our hearts forever.  You will be missed by many.

No comments:

Post a Comment