Welcome to Piecing Life Together...

First off I'd like to thank you for taking the time to visit this blog. I decided to start this blog as a way to work through all the changes and excitement that has been going on in my life, and hopefully connect with others who are interested in sharing their experiences with things like hiking, frugal living, simple living, disaster preparedness and self sufficiency. Sit down a spell, read a little, and enjoy a moment or two with us here... maybe you'll add a little piece of yourself to share with us in a comment. Blessings to you all.

Michelle

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Looking at ways to bring 4H to the city...

I don't know if anyone reading this was a 4Her, but as a 4H alum in WV, I've noticed that the majority of our clubs are rural and livestock centered (rabbits, steers, goats, chickens, pigs).  Anyhow, these past 10 years I've been a member of the urban community.  I live in town, have a small yard, and a smaller home... and aside from the possibility of a couple chickens or rabbits, livestock just isn't a real option for us.  So I've been trying to look into ways of bringing some of the agricultural fun I remember from my farm days and years of 4H into my urban home and family.

Looking back at the projects I participated in of old... there are some that work just fine in town (sewing, canning, cooking), and others that either aren't feasible or have fallen out of favor (livestock, especially pigs and steers, and tobacco growing... yeah, I was a tobacco farmer/non-user, helping to feed the nicotine addicts out there).  We're currently members of a rural club, which is great and all, but I find myself wanting to put more and more effort into reaching the kids in my neighborhood.  The kids my son goes to school with, who've never seen a farm or don't really know much about gardening.  The teens who are trying to avoid the dealers and need safe, fun activities where they are, not 20 minutes outside of town.  I've been thinking about how I can get our family more involved in our immediate community.

Currently I've been bouncing ideas off our county extension agent... things like all ages Karaoke Nights or concerts with local talent, community gardening projects where club members start a school garden or maybe a small veggie plot in a park (maybe even have the kids take their produce to the Farmers Market to sell), sewing and crafting classes to teach youth how to make the most of limited means.  Anyhow, I'm looking for ideas on how to make 4H more relevant to city youth.  For country folk, the livestock and gardening all make sense because a lot of rural families have the space and are often already doing some of these things, but for those (country and city) youth with limited space and often limited income, we need to be finding ways to bring the principles behind 4H to them through activities they can get interested in.  So among my efforts to simplify my own life and work towards creating more self sufficiency in my family, I am going to be working on ways to adapt and promote 4H for the youth nearest me.  And if anyone has an idea to share, please feel free to post your suggestions... the more ideas flowing the better.

2 comments:

  1. i hope i found the right button. there is a goat farm happy yellow goat farm, i think, in ironton where u can buy shares of a goat for milk and cheese. They are nice. You may be able to arrange a meet and greet or volunteer program for kids there, i know they are always busy with chores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol it was kat but no facebook lol

    ReplyDelete