Welcome to Piecing Life Together...

First off I'd like to thank you for taking the time to visit this blog. I decided to start this blog as a way to work through all the changes and excitement that has been going on in my life, and hopefully connect with others who are interested in sharing their experiences with things like hiking, frugal living, simple living, disaster preparedness and self sufficiency. Sit down a spell, read a little, and enjoy a moment or two with us here... maybe you'll add a little piece of yourself to share with us in a comment. Blessings to you all.

Michelle

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Piecing together memories...

For about two years now, I've been saving our old tired and worn out jeans in the hope that I could eventually reuse them... well, I'm finally doing that.  I'm currently cutting up the old jeans into 6 inch squares, many of which I've started to embroider designs on.  With a stack almost 10 inches high, and about 15-20 embroidered squares, I'm seeing the beginnings of a patchwork quilt or maybe even a rug/play mat for my daughter.  I have been thoroughly enjoying my embroidery, though that's not unusual... it's something I've taken up since my Grandma Erma Lee passed away a few years ago now as a way of remembering her.  She and my Granny Jessie, both passed on now, were avid quilters and did many quilts with embroidered designs that they lovingly hand stitched... now I'm helping to carry on the tradition and the memories I have of them to my children.  Hopefully soon I will be able to take a couple pictures and add them here for all to see.  All the embroidery has even got me considering to do genealogy blocks as well... not sure yet how best to organize something like that, but I think a quilt with our family history embroidered on it, even just the names and dates of family members... I think that would be something absolutely wonderful to make.  Perhaps making it with the denim squares would help to make it last longer as well.  Anyway, I will try to start adding pics of my embroidery here soon.  And if I'm stuck here at work much longer tonight, I may just ask my honey to bring me some dinner and my embroidery box so I have a chance to work on some squares.

Ah, here are a couple pics of some of the embroidered blocks I've done so far.  They are all pretty much free hand designs.  I've used some buttons as well (my daughter loves to play with buttons and the like... and chew them, hence the exceptionally large ones) and a cute patch I've had for ages.  I've started a couple more and may add a bit more to some of these still.  As work progresses I will try to do an update with new pics.  Anyhow, enjoy.  Criticisms and suggestions welcome.

Butterfly patch and huge buttons.  Might look for another butterfly patch to add... just feels like there should be more here.

A funky moon that may get a little added to it later.

One of my favorites... part moon, part dream catcher almost.

Our little sea turtle, because turtles are just too cute.

A patch made on a separate piece of denim and sewn on with a little fringe cut that will fray in the wash.

Dragonfly button and funky leaves.

Paisley!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment